Monday, June 20, 2005

To CT or not to CT

A very good post and literature review by Bard-Parker regarding CT's of the spine in trauma. A must read if you work in an ER or on a trauma service.

I try to get in the room as soon as I see a boarded patient roll in. I want to get them off the board ASAP. Our local EMS folks are very aggressive about spine protection and will board almost everyone from an MVC or a fall. Most of these can come out of the collar and off the board within minutes of rolling into a room.

If I don't get into the room fast enough, I will find that the nursing staff has ordered a c-spine series. They will order this on every boarded/collared pt. I understand why, but I think it is incumbent upon the physicians to clear those we can clinically and avoid the films when possible.