Friday, May 20, 2005

Via Instapundit:

I agree that this article is very disturbing. However, this statement is one of the most important in the article:
an action Army prosecutors recently classified as criminal assault.
What is important is that the chain of command recognizes these activities as criminal and will prosecute them. Look, the source of the article was "a nearly 2,000-page confidential file of the Army's criminal investigation into the case..."

At least, in our country, our society and our military, these things are not tolerated. Even those of us who support the use of force deplore the use of these types of techniques. This is what makes us different from those we oppose. This type of behavior would have been celebrated, even demanded and expected, in Saddam's Irag and the Taliban's Afganistan.

I agree with Instapundit in that I hope this is thinly sourced and that this didn't happen. Just as much because I wouldn't want something like this to happen to someone as that I don't want our reputation damaged, again.

What happened at Abu Graib was disturbing, but I don't think it was systemic. I was in the Navy during the Tailhook scandal and was in a working relationship with a number of pilots, many of whom attended that particular "conference." I have faith in those men and believe that the behavior then was not systemic, as this is not now.