Thursday, March 17, 2005

On time for appointments

I feel for the staff in this office, as described by Dreaming Again.

When I was in private practice, I strived to be on time. I began to get the impression that my patients thought I wasn't concerned about them. I felt like I was spending more time watching the clock than I was attending to my patient.

I took an informal survey and found that my patients were more concerned that they and my other patients were getting the time they needed than they were about my being on time.

My patients told me that they would be upset if I were running behind because I was goofing off (or blogging I presume) but not if they thought I was giving extra time to patients that needed it. They felt confident that they would get the extra time when they needed it.