Tuesday, February 08, 2005

"My duty is to my heart." Isn't this just another way to be selfish?

Years ago, in college, I was walking with a friend. She asked me, "What is your goal in life?" I didn't realize that this was, perhaps, an entry for her to share, and I answered, "I don't know." I probably added a few things about medical school, helping people, etc.

Of course, I asked her the same. Her answer came swiftly, but sincerely, "To glorify God in all that I do."

Wow, hers sure beat mine. I have thought about that exchange almost daily for over 20 years. I can truly say that my goal in life is to glorify God in all that I do. If only I actually did that.

I do not feel a duty to my heart, but to my Lord, my family and my fellows.

Tracy, I hope you know what that question, lo those many years ago, has meant to my life.